Herb Chicken Stock
Jan 17, 2018
1 Whole Chicken (3-5 pounds)
8 C Water or Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 Carrots, cut into bite size pieces
2 Stalks of Celery, cut into bite size pieces
1 Medium Onion, cut into bite size pieces
1. Cut the chicken up into pieces.
2. Put the chicken and the rest of the ingredients into a crockpot.
3. Set to high and simmer for 4-6 hours.
At this point, you can either make Chicken Noodle Soup or continue to create a broth only.
4. Remove the chicken, and place in a bowl to cool.
5. Pour the stock through a colander lined with cheesecloth, and let cool.
6. When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, remove the skin and the bones, and freeze or refrigerate the chicken meat for consumption in another dish.
7. Once the broth has cooled, skim the fat off of the top, then refrigerate, freeze, or use immediately.
Yield: About 6 cups of stock, about 4 cups of chicken.
Don't feel constrained by the ingredients and amounts listed in this recipe. You can use other herbs for a different flavor, for instance, add ginger peels and lemongrass for an Asian flavor. Or a bit of paprika, cumin, and jalapeños for a Mexican twist. This can be a versatile recipe if you let your imagination run wild.
This particular recipe can be used as a basis for many different soups... chicken noodle soup, cream of chicken soup, vegetable soup … the options are endless! With winter weather impacting us daily now, having a quick, warm-up option is the epitome of comfort food!